37 Numbers you Need to Know for Direct Sales 2022
What will 2022 bring for direct sales?
Based on the survey results of over 400 corporate leaders, field leaders and direct sellers at over 75 companies, we’ve drawn out the top trends shaping the future of social selling.
“Consulting internal experts, cross-referencing industry data and analyzing the survey results created a clear picture of where we can expect major shifts across the industry that will bring about success for everyone – corporate, the field and customers.”
Explore the data and findings in the full 2022 Penny Direct Sales Trends Report. Unpacking how the key trends can both facilitate growth, but also utilized as part of a strategic effort to improve the industry’s reputation.
Find a snapshot of the numbers below. Read the full report here: 2022 Penny Direct Sales Trends Report.
SELLERS STATISTICS - Discover the field's daily habits and priorities.
- 43% of the field say In-person is their #1 sales stream.*
- 76% of sellers say Social media is in their top 3 sales streams.*
- 53.3% of the field said gaining customers is their top priority over building a team.*
- 80% of new direct sellers are just focused on growing their customer base.*
- 30% of sellers work their business every day.*
- 45% of sellers working their business every day spend 1 -3 hours at a time.*
- 94% of sellers use Facebook, making it the most used social media platform.*
- 67% of sellers use Instagram.*
- 14% of sellers are using TikTok.*
- 90% of the field run their business on their cellphone.*
*Based on the survey results gathered for the 2022 Direct Sales Trends Report
Read the full Social Selling breakdown in the 2022 Direct Sales Report to find out how direct sales is perfectly positioned to become the leaders and playmakers of success in the Social Commerce era.
REPUTATION - The numbers you can’t ignore.
- $13.8B was spent on influencer marketing in 2021 by brands. Media post
- 130 million monthly active users use TikTok in the United States. WallarooMedia
- 80% of TikTok users are between the ages 16-34. WallarooMedia
- 88% of Americans are more willing to forgive a company for making a mistake if it genuinely tries to change.**
- 73% say they are less likely to cancel a company if it is Purpose-driven. **
Americans are likely to cancel a company if it says or does something offensive when addressing the following issues:
- 70% Racial justice
- 69% Women’s rights
- 68% COVID-19 protocols
- 61% Immigration
- 57% Climate change/environment
- 57% LGBTQ+
- 57% Religion and 54% Politics. **
** From Engage for Good - Porter Novelli’s 2021 Business of Cancel Culture Study
Explore the Reputation section of the 2022 Direct Sales Trends Report. Deep dive into the trigger points of 2021 which damaged the reputation AND the arising opportunities that can shape the industry’s reputation as companies prove they are the New Generation of Social Selling Companies.
ONBOARDING - The e-learning revolution has come for social selling psychology-led onboarding.
- Over 70% of corporate respondents identified better training, onboarding and mentorship as the greatest opportunity to reduce consultant churn in 2022.*
- The Global E-Learning Market is set to reach $457.8 Billion by 2026. Report Linker
- A recent study found that a goldfish’s attention span at 9 seconds is now longer than the average human’s. Consumer Insights, Microsoft
58% of corporate responders identified their onboarding experience as a detractor for the field recommending their company.*
- With over 80% saying their onboarding program was received neutrally or worse by the field.*
Discover how the booming e-learning revolution is set to change how direct sales companies onboard consultants. How? By using psychology to increase productivity and confidence and in turn, boost revenue. Find the answers in the 2022 Direct Sales Trends Report.
DIVERSITY - The numbers don’t lie.
- 61% of corporate responders think their company has made an effort to diversify its consultant base.*
- 26% said no, but it’s in motion.*
48% of Gen Z in the United States are of ethnic or racial minorities.The most diverse generation in the US to date. Pew Research Center
2.3 times higher cash flow per employee is seen by diverse companies. Bersin by Deloitte
- Diverse companies are 70% more likely to capture new markets. HBR
- 20% of direct sales companies have 50% women on their senior leadership team.
- Zero of the companies evaluated had over 50% and the lowest was 8%.***
- 10% of direct sales companies had leadership teams made up of 50% people of colour.
- Zero of the companies evaluated had over 50%, the lowest was 25%.***
- 10% of direct sales companies have 30% women on their Board of Directors.***
- 20% of direct sales companies have 20% people of colour on their Board of Directors.***
- 30% of companies make an active statement or have dedicated a web presence about their diversity and inclusion priorities.***
*** Independent research looking at a randomized cross section of the top 100 direct sales companies.
Uncover the impact diversity has on the success of direct sales organizations and how to ensure that everyone feels like they belong at your company. Read the Penny 2022 Direct Sales Trends Report.
In a world where change is inevitable, how do you make sure your organization is ahead of the curve? Check out the 2022 Direct Sales Trends Report – where the new generation of social sales is starting to take shape.